Saturday, January 8, 2011

Why? Because I can!

Welcome to my blog.  This is about many different things.  It's about getting back to making things ourselves.  It's easy enough to go to the store and buy whatever we want, but why not make it ourselves?  It lets you express your creative side and gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment.  It's awesome!

This was partially inspired by my sister who when I told her I was going to make some fingerless gloves because my fingers get cold typing in the morning said, "Why don't you just go buy some?"  I mean, where's the fun in that?  I won't get to pick my own yarn, I can't get the experience in making gloves (which I've never done before) and I don't get the satisfaction of making something awesome. 

I've gotten more interested in getting back to the basics of making things for my family for several reasons.
I quilt because I love to express myself creatively in fabric and enjoy the warm coziness afterwards. 
I crochet because I love making amigarumis for friends who are having babies and for my own kids and nieces to run around playing with something made from the heart.
I grind my own wheat and make homemade bread for my family because I like the idea of giving them the freshest, healthiest food available without all the preservatives and added sugar in the grocery-store options.
I embroider because I like to see my ideas manifest themselves onto fabric, it's a creative thing again.

So here's to doing it ourselves because we can.  It's fun, it teaches us something and allows us to express ourselves with love and creativity.

Bottled Tomatoes
Home-made bread from freshly ground wheat
Quilt and pillow-cases with crocheted edging
Youngest's big-girl blanket

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...