Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How the Hearth does Camping...Fun in Fairview

Do you like to camp?  We do.

First of all, we go to the most remote area we can find.  Thanks to my best, good buddy who invites us every year (two years running), for our annual wilderness fun adventure at her family's plot of land in the vastness of the Manti La Sal National Forest.  This area is amazing for many reasons.  It's off the grid so no cell phones.  It has deer, deer and more deer.  Frogs.  Crayfish.  Regular fish.  Trees.  Rocks. Okay, you get the picture, it's awesome.

My kids get to spend almost a week running wild in the wilderness.  Shooting bows and arrows and BB guns.  Catching frogs, butterflies and pollywogs in their nets.  Playing wolves and fishing to their hearts' content.  The nearest town is called Fairview, it's a good hour down the canyon, but we spent a day there having some small town adventures this time.  We were there for the Pioneer Day celebration...remember, this is Utah, we love EVERYTHING pioneer.   So, come along for a little Hearth Adventuring.  This is the Fairview portion of our vacation.  All the camping stuff will come later.

Fun in Fairview

If you ever were concerned that there wasn't a shrine to love and devotion, worry no more.  Thanks Fairview.

The mammoth they found just up the canyon....pretty darn close to our campsite.  Ummm....they've been officially declared extinct....right?

Operator, hold please.  Let me connect you.  
Okay, a hands-on museum makes museum-ing so much more fun for the littles.

Mom, are you sure this is how phones used to be?  Where's the touch screen?  I stick my finger in and do WHAT?


Oh my gosh, Becky...
Side note, I feel like she could slip right into this time period with her little drop-waist dress and hair pulled back in braids. My little early 20th century girl.

Course, as I'm the mother of two, early 20th century girls, I'd set My Oldest to cooking the supper. Cornbread would be nice, dear.

 Don't forget to do the laundry.

 And get a permanent for your hair!

 All the while My Youngest is busy threshing wheat with Pa.

 Come on, put your back into it.

 Then we'll go for a buggy ride once Ma has finished eating her bonbons and doing her nails....right?  Because I'm sure that's what early 20th century mothers did while they set their young to work.

We also enjoyed the Pioneer Day parade on the 24th of July that was pretty much the best parade around if you ask my kids.  Because???  Mass quantities of candy were thrown. My Youngest used her butterfly net to capture all the goodies.

Good times.

Thanks for reading.

Heather

8 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Loved the pictures of those old phones!

    And, your kids come to parades prepared. Butterfly nets! Wow. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like heaps of fun! Have to say tough looking at the washing machine Im thankful for technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like an awesome museum. My gram used her wringer washer her whole life. She wouldn't even agree to a new washer/dryer when I grew up and offered to buy her the set. She liked her system. And her clothes did always smell really good (hung out on the line, of course). :) That mammoth was mammoth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that looks like fun. Your girls are sure getting big! I'm with Mel on the technology thing though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't camp, but after seeing the Feral Turtle's expensive hotel in Saskatchewan, I think camping is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post to read and your pictures are great Heather! I cannot believe how big your girls are getting! I think Jacob would love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so fun to go back in time. I guess it's hard for children to believe that's how it used to be...and sometime it's hard for me too...to remember those times

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you all had so much fun museum-ins! That picture in the phone booth is priceless. She really looks like she is from that time period. I agree, a hands-on museum for kids has got to be one of the best inventions for vacationers. So glad you all are having such a great summer and looking forward to the camping part!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...